Workout: Concept 2 Rower
Here again to deliver another workout of the month, yes this one comes mid month (have to get better at that for you, but at least it's free and backed with science you can count on).
This month we visit the Concept 2 Rower! Read below and try the two workouts I've given you. Very basic, but effective when executing each one 1-2x a week. Follow the progression steps I give and see your body get stronger. With a good diet, see your body change as well. Let me know how it goes.
Remember....simple equals effective.
SKI ERG DOMINATION
Why the ski erg and why sub 50 seconds?
1. Practical and spatially econoomic. The ski erg is a great non impact piece of cardio equipment. It's light weight and fits in most homes.
2. Efficient. You can train several different energy zones using this piece of equipment. It's great at building aerobic efficiency, anaerobic efficiency, power endurance, speed and improving max heart capability in a non impact enviornment.
3. Quick learning curve. There's basically one movement to this piece of equipment. Triple extension (ankles, knees and hips) up and triple flexion down. You can probably find some ways to get creative with this, but you'll also probably end up Barstools Instagram page looking like an idiot. Don't be that guy.
4. Killer workout. It doesn't take much time before this beast of a machine will have your heart rate jacked up. When you maximize your form you will even get some serious fatigue in the lower body despite this being visually upper body dominant exercise.
5. Sub 50 seconds because 300 meters on the ski erg at a fairly competitive level sits right at the beginning of ones lactic thresh hold and that's what I'm trying to improve right now. I want to maximize that energy zone and improve my bodies ability buffer acidity in the blood. It also is a great way to improve my downward pulling power and is a full body movement that measures my complete ability to transfer energy efficiently.
Below I've given you vehicle to drive your ski erg times to competitive levels, but also to get you fitter than your tightest guinea t-shirt. Have fun and follow me as I complete my quest to epic ski erg dominance.
Modality 1: To increase aerobic ability of fast twitch muscle fibers. Deliver high power for longer.
Sets: 10-20mins of...
10 second Max Effort
50 second moderate recovery
Progressions: Decrease recovery time by 5-10% each week
Frequency: 1-2x a week
Eric is an advocate of mental healthy, especially for children. He's part of the initiative at Physiology First, a Non-Profit online University focusing on reeducating the youth all around the world.